As we head for warmer weather and the spring blossoms start spreading their colourful joy, it’s time to get out and visit The Witness Garden Show at the Royal Showgrounds, Pietermaritzburg. It may be mostly about gardens and gardening, but there is also so much more, and something for everyone. If you are a keen gardener, the feature gardens designed to perfection will inspire and delight; the plants on sale will certainly get you excited about gardening, and there are many specialist growers offering you the chance to grow something new. Get the best specials and all your gardening goodies, new and old favourites, at this year’s show. For foodies, we have a range of gourmet food to try while you relax on the terrace and enjoy the Spring Spectacular dog show happening on the main arena, or you can take in some local music and a range of traditional food at the Heritage area opposite the kids’ zone. For those interested in woodwork there is a whole hall filled with all things carpentry, with demos and new tools to play with. It’s a show not to miss.
Here are some of the things of interest:
- Bigger Specialist Plant Hall with displays and sales of bonsai and orchids, and sales of water plants, air plants, clivias and much more.
- Art Show, including botanical art
- The Happy Earth Hall, filled with environmental displays and eco products.
- The Spring Spectacular championship dog show and dog agility show.
- 4×4 vehicles on an obstacle course.
- Gourmet food hall.
- Heritage area with music and local food stalls.
- The Mom, Pops and Tots show for kiddies’ goodies, and play area.
- Schools gardens designed by learners from schools in the province.
- Cake decorating national competition winners in the icing hall.
- Quilting hall, showcasing incredible skill and craftsmanship.
- Floral art national competition winners, and displays by expert floral artists.
- Outdoor shopping for plants of all types and other great deals.
- Free demos and talks on a range of subjects every 25 minutes from 10:00-15:00.
- Fashion Fantasy living art fashion show on Thursday 21 September. Tickets from Computicket.