The Witness Garden Show 2016
23 - 25 SEPTEMBER 2016, Royal Showgrounds, Pietermaritzburg. 9 - 5 daily
Welcome to The Witness Garden Show
We are ready to rock Maritzburg in September with The Witness Garden Show taking place from the 23-25 September.
This year we have exciting new developments with the addition of the Spirit of Spring Canine Spectacular and a preview evening fashion show that will knock your socks off. Plus The Floral Art Indaba is happening at this year’s show which brings floral artists from all over the country to Pietermaritzburg to show off their talents, and there will be floral art demos with international superstar floral designer Mark Pampling.
This year’s theme Fashion Fantasy will certainly produce some interesting garden design – we can’t wait to see what out feature garden designers come up with!
Highlights for show include:
- Spirit of Spring Canine Spectacular – more than 600 purebred dogs of various breeds will be judged by three Internationally renowned Judges over the three days, they will select the “Spirit of Spring Garden Show Champion” on the Sunday. Besides the show dogs there will be Agility, Dog Carting, Dancing with Dogs Display and lots more to enjoy. Hall 2 will be filled with everything pet related featuring lots of exciting goodies to spoil your pets.
- Preview evening and Fashion Show – a not to be missed addition to The Witness Garden Show calendar that includes the first glimpse of the feature gardens, music, dancing, cheese and wine and fashion with a twist. This event will take place on Thursday the 22 September (the day before the show opens) at 7pm and tickets will go on sale shortly. This event has limited space, so early booking is essential. Please visit Computicket to book.
- The South African Flower Union is hosting the Floral Art Indaba with entries and displays that are bound to be a big highlight of the show AND world-renowned floral designer Mark Pampling from Australia will be in town to do demonstrations at the show – a big treat for all who love flowers – tickets for this event will be available in the coming months.
- The Gourmet Food Hall will be buzzing with more to eat and drink.
- The Kids Zone will be bigger and better. The Schools Gardens sponsored by ABI will be moving into this area and will include gardening in tyres and miniature gardens – a big trend this year in gardening. Any schools wishing to enter can do so by e-mailing Marlize on Marlizedupreez77@gmail.com
- The Plant Hall will be filled with orchids, clivias, bonsai, clematis and more – beautiful displays and plenty of great plants to buy.
- Orchestral music in the feature hall which will be filled with inspiring designs and stunning plants.
- Demos and talks every half an hour in the Demo Kitchen in the main hall featuring gardening, floral art, growing special plants and much more.
All the usual features that we have all come to love will be back including the most beautifulQuilting; inspiring Cake Decorating from the Icing Guild; 4×4 track with Midlands 4×4; Arts and Crafts including the popular Art Show in the Grill Room; Chainsaw Races – fascinating to watch; and Shopping ranging from plants and gardening equipment to the latest gadgets and gardening goodies we can’t do without. Watch this space, there is more on the way!
- Children under 12 and pensioners (60 years +)
- Adults (12 years +)
- Pre-school children accompanied by an adult enter free.
Friday, 23 September 2016
|1||Flower arranging||10:00||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|2||Let the indoors flow out - landscaping with James Hurst of Hurst Projects||James Hurst||10:30||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|3||Elsa Pooley||Elsa Pooley||11:00||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|4||Gardening with Gerald Schofield||Gerald Schofield||11:30||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|5||Basics, bright ideas and bloopers||Tanya Visser||12:00||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|6||The Chelsea Flower Show with David Davidson||David Davidson||12:30||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|7||Growing orchids with Tinus from Plantae||13:30||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|8||Happy Earth Fashion Show||14:00||Parks Hall|
|9||Floral Art teaching demo - R100pp||14:30 - 16:30||Parks Hall Demo Kitchen|
|10||Live Music with Christopher Duigan||23 September 2016 , Christopher Duigan||13:00 - 14:00||Parks Hall|
The Royal Agricultural Society of Natal Showgrounds, Pietermaritzburg
Located at the extreme northern end of Chief Albert Luthuli Street (formerly Commercial Road). From Durban (via the N3), take the Sanctuary/Armitage Rd offramp; and from Johannesburg, the Chatterton Rd/ City or the Peter Brown offramp. All are signposted.
Public parking (run by Voortrekker High School) is available on the Voortrekker Sports Fields opposite the main entrance to the showgrounds in Chief Albert Luthuli Street (formerly Commercial Road) at R20 per vehicle.